I’m Rathes Sachchithananthan, a web developer with interests not only in engineering but also in product development & design, user & customer experience, and most importantly in languages and cultures.
I started working as a web designer and web developer at a very young age. I earned my first money as a web designer creating custom MySpace layouts when I was just 14. In 2008, at the age of 16, I founded my own company for web design and development. Since then, I have worked with several clients doing quite a wide range of tasks.
However, my real passion lies beyond software and development. I’m more into solving problems for people, make their lives easier and connecting them with each other. Alongside that, I’m passionate about learning new languages and cultures.
Nowadays, I work as a front-end engineer at Hussle in London building web applications using React.
Apart from that, I spent most of my time working on smaller side projects at Aheenam. Right now, I’m working on providing a platform for people to learn my mother language Tamil.
What I read
Books play an important part in my life. Just sitting on my couch or bed and reading a novel can be really inspiring.
I do fancy crime novels with interesting detective characters from good old Sherlock Holmes to Harry Hole. But I read basically any kind of book that can broaden one’s horizons.
Actually, I dream of having my own library one day where I can invite everybody to pick up a nice book and read.
Reading List 2021
- The Science of Storytelling: Why Stories Make Us Human, and How to Tell Them Betterby Will Storr
- The Outsiderby Stephen King
- The Mom Testby Rob Fitzpatrick
- Zero to Sold: How to Start, Run, and Sell a Bootstrapped Businessby Arvid Kahl
- A Tapping at My Doorby David Jackson
- Become the best version of yourselfby Zach Berwick
- A Promised Landby Barack Obama
- Hooked: How to Build Habit-Forming Productsby Nir Eyal
- Was weiße Menschen nicht über Rassismus hören wollen aber wissen solltenby Alice Hasters
Reading List 2020
- Shadow Man (Smoky Barrett, Band 1)by Cody McFadyen
- Library of Souls: The Third Novel of Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Childrenby Ransom Riggs
- Sherlock Holmes: A Study in Scarletby Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
- Die letzte Spur (The last track)by Charlotte Link
- The Lean Startup: How Today's Entrepreneurs Use Continuous Innovation to Create Radically Successful Businessesby Eric Ries
- The Thursday Murder Clubby Richard Osman
- Psychology for Busy People: Everything You Really Should Knowby Joel Levy
- The Girl on the Trainby Paula Hawkins
What I write
From time to time I also write. It can be work related topics that I share in the writing section of this website but I also write to empty my mind and eternalize ideas.
I have several ideas for some crime novel and I even developed my detective character “Chris Garner”. I want to publish my first short stories soon.
Before I can do that I have to finish my current book which is called “A guide to basic Tamil Grammar”. I’m writing that book as an entry point for my learning platform.