I’m Rathes Sachchithananthan, a web developer with not only interests in engineering but also product development & design, user & customer experience and most importantly in languages and cultures.
I started working as a web designer and web developer at very young ages. At the age of 14, I earned my first money as a web designer creating custom MySpace layouts and in 2008, at the age of 16, I founded my first own company for web design and development. Since then I have worked with several clients doing quite a wide range of tasks.
However, my real passion is not for software and development. I’m more into solving problems for people, make their lives easier and connect them with each other. Together with that, I’m passionate about learning new languages and cultures.
Nowadays, I work as a web developer at Teamleader in Ghent, Belgium building things using PHP in the back-end and React in the front-end.
Apart from that, I spent most of my time working smaller side projects at Aheenam. Right now I’m working on providing a platform for people to learn my mother language Tamil.
What I read
Books play an important part in my life. Just sitting my couch or bed and reading a novel can be really inspiring.
I do fancy crime novels with interesting detective characters from good old Sherlock Holmes to Harry Hole. But I read basically any kind of books that can broaden one’s horizons.
Actually, I dream to have my own library one where I can invite everybody to pick up a nice book and read.
Reading List 2019
- Paul JarvisCompany of One: Why Staying Small is the Next Big Thing for Business
- Leigh BardugoCrooked Kingdom
- Stephen KingCarrie
- Ian RankinKnots and Crosses
- Gabriel WynerFluent Forever: How to Learn Any Language Fast and Never Forget It
- Gary Keller, Jay PapasanThe One Thing: The Surprisingly Simple Truth Behind Extraordinary Results
- Jason Fried, David Heinemeier HanssonIt Doesn't Have to Be Crazy at Work
- James N. FreyHow to Write a Damn Good Novel: A Step-By-Step No Nonsense Guide to Dramatic Storytelling
- Sebastian FitzekThe Eye Collector
- Sunila GalappattiA Long Watch: War, Captivity and Return in Sri Lanka
- Andrew CouldwellLaying the Foundations — A book about design systems (Currently Reading)
What I write
From time to time I also write. It can be work related topics that I share in the writing section of this website but I also write to empty my mind and eternalize ideas.
I have several ideas for some crime novel and I even developed my detective character “Chris Garner”. I want to publish my first short stories soon.
Before I can do that I have to finish my current book which is called “A guide to basic Tamil Grammar”. I’m writing that book as an entry point for my learning platform.